gluten & sugar free version I'm going to try next time to avoid sugar & grain.
Angel Food Cake
What you need:
1 c sifted unbleached cake flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1 c organic pure cane sugar
12 large organic egg whites
1 1/2 tsp organic cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 T vanilla
3/4 tsp almond extract
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl add all egg whites, cream of tarter. vanilla and almong extracts and salt
- Using an electrical mixer, beat until mixture has peaks
- Sift the sugar and flour
- Fold flour into egg mixture in 3rds, be careful not to collapse the egg whites
- Pour batter into an ungreased pan
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Once done, cool for 10 minutes
- Use a butter knife along the edges to ease the cake out, then let cake cool
- Top cake with your favorite toppings, I used homemade whip cream and strawberries but a homemade straberry jam would be great.
Homemade Whip CreamI never knew how easy it was to make whipping cream, did you know that cool whip isn't even dairy?? Kind of like several coffee creamers out there, they aren't even dairy, they are pretty much chemicals mixed together to taste good. To make your own whipping cream it takes a couple sets and 3 ingredients... easy peasy! You can also try a whipped cream cheese frosting, which would be tasty with this shortcake too!
What you need:
-2 cups organic whipping cream (found in the dairy section) or coconut milk for a real food non dairy twist
-1 T flavoring, like cocoa powder or vanilla extract or any other flavor
-sweetener to taste, for this particular recipe in the picture I used 1 T of organic powdered sugar, but I also make it with stevia or xylitol and I'm certain honey or maple syrup would work as well
What to do:
Mix all ingredients with an electrical mixer (I only have a hand-held one but one day want to get a Kitchen Aid mixer, do you have one of those) until mixture is fluffy enough how you like it.... Yummy!
What is your favorite kind of cake or dessert?