Have you seen the pumpkin cream cheese muffins at Starbucks?
I'm not gonna lie, those look so delicious and I might have had one, especially since I love all things pumpkin. However, recently the food babe did a real food investigation on that place and found some crazy findings, so I decided to try out a healthier version made with real ingredients.
Yields: 20-24 muffins
What you need:
3 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C flax meal
1 T pumpkin harvest spice
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
4 large eggs
1 t vanilla
1 C sweetener (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, I used sucanat)
2 C pumpkin puree (or one can)
1.5 sticks of butter (3/4 C)
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 cream cheese packet (16 ounces)
1/2 powdered sucanat (or powdered sugar)
1 t vanilla
1/2 t pumpkin harvest spice
optional: nut to sprinkle on top (I used sliced almonds)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make cream cheese filling by using a mixer to combine all ingredients, set aside
- Combine all muffin ingredients into a large bowl, use a mixer to mix completely but not over well
- Use paper liners or parchment paper to line a muffin tin
- Spoon in muffin mixture into each muffin about 3/4 full
- Top with about 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture
- Sprinkle with almonds or nut of your choice
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Cool on a wired rack
- Enjoy.... yum, can you smell the aroma?
I got the inspiration for these muffins here.
What is your favorite kind of muffin?